Thinking about the future
Think about the following questions
- How do you think that the COVID-19 situation will affect OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)?
- What will OEMs have to do to survive?
- Do you think the Boeing and Airbus will continue their operations in the usual way in the next five years?
Watch the video below as Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury talks about how Airbus will change in the future.
Video length: 5 minutes
Try to answer the following questions
- What does he say Airbus will have to do in the next five years?
- What does he say about the current reduced production capacity at Airbus?
- What does he say about the development of environmentally friendly equipment?
- What does he say about the change in Airbus’ proportion of the aviation market?
- Guillaume uses a future tense to talk about things which Airbus expects to achieve within five years. What structure does he use to talk about this?
- Take a note of the examples of this structure that he mentions (at least three examples).
- What is the form of this structure?
- Do you know when we use it?
- Write some sentences about yourself and your airline. What things do you (or your airline) expect to achieve within five years?
- Guillaume uses a phrases verb with a follow-up verb in an incorrect form (2:00 – 3:00 in the video). What phrasal verb is it and what should the correct form of the follow-up verb be?