Thinking about the future
Think about the following questions
- How do you think that the COVID-19 situation will affect OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)?
- What will OEMs have to do to survive?
- Do you think the Boeing and Airbus will continue their operations in the usual way in the next five years?
Watch the video (or listen to the audio) below as Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury talks about how Airbus will change in the future.
Video length: 5 minutes
Listen to the audio if you can’t watch the video
Read the text from the video
Click below to read the text from the video if you can’t watch it, can’t listen to the audio or just to check your understanding.
Try to answer the following questions
- What does Guillaume Faury say Airbus will have to do in the next five years?
- What does he say about the current reduced production capacity at Airbus?
- What does he say about the development of environmentally friendly equipment?
- What does he say about the change in Airbus’ proportion of the aviation market?
Giving your opinion – Add your opinion in the comment box below
- Do you agree with Airbus CEO, Guillaume Faury, and his predictions about Airbus in the next five years?
- What other changes will happen in aviation in the next five years in your opinion?
Language Focus – ICAO Level 5 / CEFR B2
- Guillaume uses a future tense to talk about things which Airbus expects to achieve within five years. What structure does he use to talk about this?
- Take a note of the examples of this structure that he mentions (at least three examples).
- What is the form of this structure?
- Do you know when we use it?
- Write some sentences about yourself (or your airline). What things do you (or your airline) expect to achieve within five years?
- Guillaume uses a phrasal verb with a follow-up verb in an incorrect form (2:00 – 3:00 in the video). What phrasal verb is it and what should the correct form of the follow-up verb be?
Language Focus +
To read more about verb tenses including the form used by Guillaume Faury in his interview, click here.
To read more about Airbus’ latest news releases, click here. Look at the most recent news and choose something interesting to read about. Take a few notes and tell a classmate / your teacher about what you read.