Think about and take some notes on the following questions before you watch the video.
- Why do you think that passenger planes are used to transport air cargo?
- What percentage of air cargo do you think is transported by passenger planes?
- Is that a surprise to you? Why / why not?
- What do you think would happen to the air cargo supply chain if the number of long-haul passenger flights were drastically cut?
Now watch the video which describes the problem air cargo shipping has had since the outbreak of COVID-19 and try to answer the following questions.
Come back on Monday for the answers.
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- According to the video, what quantity of cargo is transported by passenger flights?
- What proportion of cargo capacity between western Europe and the US was lost due to COVID-19 in March 2020?
- How was demand affected during the same period?
- What factors accounted for this difference?
- What did airlines start to do with their empty passenger planes?
- What factors contributed to making this activity possible?
- Do you think that these factors will continue to remain static in the future?
If you want to read more about carrying cargo on passenger planes take a look at our article on the subject.
Follow us on twitter here, Facebook here for more great content!
Have a great weekend!
Air Cargo’s Coronavirus Problem
Sign up for an annual CuriosityStream subscription and also get a free Nebula subscription (the new streaming platform built by creators) here: http://Curios…