Here are the answers to last Friday’s video, enjoy!
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- They have approximately eight hours to relay this section of taxiway.
- They have to dig down a total of 32 inches. (20 inches + 1 foot)
- Frost heave, that’s when water and soil freeze, they swell upwards, causing the surface of the taxiway to crack.
- The team add a one foot layer of gravel which helps to keep water away from the surface.
- It has been chemically altered so that its laying temperature is 55 degrees lower than normal asphalt, meaning it cools and sets 50% faster.