Here are the answers to last Friday’s video, enjoy!
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- They’re loud, use a lot of fuel and aren’t good for the environment.
- The problem is that neither the fan at the front, nor the turbine at the back are operating at their most efficient speeds.
- His change was to introduce a gearbox into the shaft of the engine which allows the fan to spin more slowly and the turbine more quickly.
- It made the engine 15% more fuel efficient and up to 75% quieter.
- They’ll save around $1.5M dollars per plane per year.