This week’s video describes a revolution in jet engine design. Watch the video to find out what it is and how it could change jet engines forever.
Try to answer the following questions about the video and come back on Monday for the answers.
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- What are some of the disadvantages mentioned in relation to jet engines?
- What’s the problem with the design of current jet engines?
- What was Mike McCune’s simple, yet radical change to the jet engine?
- What effect did the change have on the engine?
- How much will the airlines save with this new design?
Follow us on twitter here, Facebook here or Google+ here for more great content!
Have a great weekend!
This Genius Invention Could Transform Jet Engines
Mike McCune is an engineer with Pratt & Whitney, the airplane manufacturer. After 30 years of development, he’s created a gearbox for a jet engine that makes them 75% quieter and 15% more fuel efficient. That’s a savings of about $1.5 million per airplane each year.