Here are the answers to last Friday’s video, enjoy!
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- It had to be easily understood by all pilots and ground staff.
- It wasn’t chosen because it was used in normal conversations which weren’t emergencies.
- When selecting the word to use, the English and French languages were thought about.
- It should be repeated three times to avoid confusion with somebody relaying a mayday call (but not in an emergency themselves) and confusion with other similar sounding words.
- In that case, pilots should use the expression ‘pan-pan’, again repeated three times to avoid confusion.
- It doesn’t mean anything, it was chosen due to its unmistakable character.