This week’s video describes how airplane manufacturers have strived to make their planes as light and as strong as possible. Watch the video to find out how it’s done.
Try to answer the following questions about the video and come back on Monday for the answers.
Suggested ICAO level for video: 5+
- How strong are the wings of the 787?
- What was the default material used by aircraft manufacturers to build planes for decades?
- Why was this material the choice?
- How much of this pure material is used in modern-day jets?
- What is current aircraft manufacturers favourite building material?
Have a great weekend!
The materials used for aircraft engineering have changed considerably since the advent of flight. How do engineers choose what airplanes are made of? How Close Are We To Star Trek’s Warp Drive?